Friday, December 13, 2013

Bread Dough

This bread recipe is great, but not necessarily "healthy" as it is mostly white flour; but when you want that nice fluffy bread texture, this works wonderfully as regular rolls, or cinnamon rolls.  The recipe is big enough that I usually do 1/2 in regular rolls and 1/2 in cinnamon rolls :)

In my stand mixer I put about 1 quart of warm water, with 3 heaping tablespoons of yeast, and 1 cup of honey.  I mix this for about 30 seconds and then let it stand for about 10 minutes to let the yeast activate.





The yeast will cause the mixture to "bubble".


Then I added 1 cup of oil, and 2 tablespoons salt.

Next in a smaller bowl I mixed 4 cups of whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup of soy flour.  Then this mixture gets added to the stand mixer and mixed well.  











Then I added another quart of warm water and carefully mixed that in.
This is about the limit for my stand mixer, so we move onto a larger bowl.
  


Now in a very large bowl, I put almost an entire 5lb bag of unbleached white flour, made a well in the center and poured in the other mixture. 



From here you can mix as much as you can using a spoon or spatula, but before long, it's time to get your hands dirty.


Once it is mixed as much as I can in the bowl, I turn in out onto the countertop to kneed it.  Adding a bit of flour as necessary. 


Continue to knead the dough until it just barely sticky.  Form it into a ball.


Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and set in a warm place to rise, until doubled.


STAY TUNED....



No comments:

Post a Comment