Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Fridge and Salad Bar in a Box :)

My mom-in-law (thanks Linda!) posted a YouTube video on Facebook about a day ago...and now I'm hooked!  Let me explain.  This video showed how to make a "Salad Bar in a Box" to store in your fridge, so it would be easy to grab something healthy with little time and effort throughout the week.  This box of fresh chopped veggies, nuts, beans, or practically anything you want can become not just a salad, but also fillings for wraps, pitas, and sandwiches, or the beginnings of a tasty stir-fry.  Because everything is already washed and chopped, you just open the box and you have lunch or dinner practically made!

So I shared the link on Facebook and my friend Cheryl beat me to Walmart and had pics posted as well, and because of her excitement I decided I couldn't wait and had to go get my own box :) --the cashier even commented that another lady had purchased the same boxes yesterday--haha!  Then, this evening Cheryl told me that while in Walmart she found someone else buying these same boxes! It's contagious!

When I got home with my boxes and some new fresh veggies, I realized my refrigerator could use a clean-out...so the big project began and before long I had an empty fridge and a counter full of all sorts of leftovers, veggies, juices, milks, and mystery containers of ?????!!!!  Once emptied and cleaned...I managed to fit everything back in, better organized and still had space to put in the new "Salad Bar Box"

Cleaned and re-organized.

With the "Salad Bar Box"

This is what the inside of my Salad Bar Box looks like.
Multi-colored bell peppers, broccoli, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, corn, nuts, cucumbers, shredded radishes, chopped celery, romaine lettuce mix, and baby kale salad mix.

Tomorrow I plan to season up some veggie "chik'n" strips, and maybe some meatless taco filling to use along with all these pretty veggies :)

For those looking for more ideas of what to put in the box...here is a list.

Cauliflower
Snap/Snow peas
Water chestnuts
Shredded green or  purple cabbage
Peas/Beans
Olives (ick)
Raisins (ick)
Fresh grapes/berries/mandarin oranges (surprisingly good in salads)
Kale/Chard/any other leafy greens
Alfalfa Sprouts
Bean Sprouts
Onion
Mushrooms

You can be creative and use anything you and your family like in your salads, sandwiches, and stir-fry.  The idea is to take time on a day that works for you and wash and chop everything to make those days you have less time, easier and healthier :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment