Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Gluten-free?

I started a little experiment this weekend.  I'm going to go gluten-free for a few weeks.  My mom recently decided to do this because she "heard" it would help her lose that last little bit of weight.  Now, do I believe that?...I'm skeptical. Although, in the first few days her "chronic cough" has improved.  I have read that gluten sensitivity can cause all sorts of issues, including (but not limited to) headaches, migraines, allergy symptoms, and a whole host of digestive issues.

There's a book titled "Wheat Belly" that has gone international, with the catchphrase "Lose the wheat, lose the weight..."

Several years ago, our first set of allergy tests for my step-daughter showed an allergy to wheat (in second tests it came back negative).  However, right after the tests, I had the privilege (or maybe it was a punishment?) of testing out the "gluten-free products".  I have to say I wasn't impressed.  The texture and taste of some of these products were awful--some of which I still see out there!

Fast-forward three years.  I am testing the gluten-free "diet" to see if I can see a difference in the way I feel without the wheat/gluten.  No real big reason.  I do suffer from migraine headaches and allergies, but I don't actually believe it has anything to do with wheat.  I don't really have much weight to lose either, so this is essentially a test to see if "gluten-free" will make any difference in the way I feel overall.

I do have to say that, with this new "craze" a lot more products are available for those opting for a gluten-free diet than there was 3 years ago.  Most grocery stores care some gluten-free bread and pasta if nothing else.  There is a substantial price difference though between stores.  I have found a few brands that I think are probably the best, in terms of ingredients, nutrition, and flavor/texture.

First up...bread...my  weakness...I LOVE BREAD.  I can't say that LOUD enough.



All ingredients that I can pronounce :)


Next Waffles...

For those who want a "white/fluffier" waffle




Or for those who want a "heartier" waffle.



I have also bought some various "gluten-free" pastas, which I will test out and post about later.

So far it's been about 4.5 days and I can't say I notice any difference, but everything takes time :)

Stay tuned....


No comments:

Post a Comment