Sunday, March 30, 2014

Monkey Bread

Ok, so I still have my sweet tooth, and every once in a while...well, you just gotta cave in.  :)

My Grammy used to make this using the refrigerated biscuit dough, which I suppose is ok in a pinch..but I prefer my (little bit) "healthier" version, using my "Better Biscuits" dough.

1 C. whole wheat flour
1 C. unbleached white flour
1 T. baking powder
1/3 C. butter flavored crisco (yeah, I know...bad stuff)
3/4 C. almond/soymilk

(for what you see in the pictures, I doubled this recipe)

Mix the dry ingredients, cut in the shortening.  Add the milk and mix until just combined (do not overmix)






Then you just pull apart bite-sized chunks and roll in cinnamon sugar (mixed to your taste) and place in an oiled bundt or loaf pan.









I then make a brown sugar sauce (I don't measure, just add enough brown sugar to the melted butter to form a sauce and add a dash of vanilla extract.  I pour about 3/4 of the sauce over the unbaked "monkey bread" saving the last 1/4 for after it's baked.








Bake at 400 degrees until the dough is baked through.  Invert onto a serving platter and drizzle with the remaining sauce (you may have to reheat it)

 There really is no need to use a fork, you can just pull the bite-sized pieces off :)



No comments:

Post a Comment